I Can Cook’s Spiced Fun Buns Recipe (Adapted)
|February 12, 2012||Posted by Luschka under 2 - 3 years, By Age, Cooking, Food, Home Education, Kids in the Kitchen|
Ameli loves BBC’s I Can Cook. In fact she actually giggles with glee when we put it on TV for her, and she sits, absolutely mesmerised by Katie, the host. I decided to capitalise on that, since we do a lot of cooking together, and actually use it as a foundation for an afternoon’s activities.
That specific day the recipe had been Spiced Fun Buns and since then it’s been a quick breakfast or regular snack in our house, specially since it only makes about 8 – 10 ‘buns’. I particularly like the recipes on I Can Cook because they are child sized portions – although you can obviously double it, which is useful in this recipe so you use the whole egg. I also like the fact that they’re more or less healthy, with a few exceptions – this recipe, for example only has 2 tablespoons sugar.
We’ve been playing around with the recipe too, so for the original you can head over to BBC website, but here’s our version.
- 4 tablespoons chopped dried fruit, fruit peel, currants or coconut
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar (although we tend to use brown sugar)
- 110g (4oz) self-raising flour
- Large pinch of mixed spice
- 60g (2.5oz) soft butter
- ½ an egg
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Combine the flour with the mixed spice and butter, rubbing the mixture till it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Gently mix in the sugar and fruit mix using a fork.
- Break the egg in a separate cup and pour half of it into the mixture. It should be firm but not dry and not too wet either. You should be able to shape it. Add more egg if needed.
- Divide the mixture into chunks and place on a buttered tray for 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve with butter, cream and fresh fruit. Personally I can’t wait for Dandelions to be back in season so we can make some Dandelion Jam again. I think it’ll go really well together.
We made these together in the week, and put together a little video of our exploits. For how to make Spiced Fun Buns in 1.27mins, watch our clip