“Chocolate” Date Ball Snack
|October 14, 2012||Posted by Luschka under Favourite Recipes I Have To Share, Food, Kids in the Kitchen|
We’re huge chocolate fans around here, to the extent that I’m sometimes a little worried about it, because it’s just not that good for us. I found some organic, vegan, good for you chocolate bars in our local health food shop, and nice as they are, I don’t think my bank balance can handle a like-for-like replacement.
These bars have the ingredients listed on the packaging, so I thought I’d have a go at doing it myself. The good thing is, they’re yummy, Ameli loves them and thinks they’re sweets, and they’re pretty easy to make. The bad thing is, every time I make them they’re different because I tend to use what I have available.
So, here’s a rough go at these yummy ‘chocolatey sweets’ as Ameli calls them!
The basic ingredients are:
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup oats
- Two tablespoons cocoa powder
- Something wet: a 1/4 cup apple juice or 2 tablespoons peanut butter, just enough to hold the batter together.
- You can add a variety of things – nuts, dried fruit, berries
What to do:
- Mix everything together in a food processor or blender. You want it well mixed, but not smooth.
- Either roll the batter into balls, then around a plate of coconut and place in the fridge. Alternatively spread it out on a baking sheet and refridgerate.
- Once set, cut into squares and enjoy.
I don’t actually know how long these last. For us they last about a day, then I have to make more!
One thing I can say about them, for sure, is that a lot less goes a lot further – a few of these are sweet enough to ‘hit the spot’ for a lot longer than normal chocolate does. With normal chocolate I need another hit in a couple of hours. With these I’m normally satisfied. Additionally, the energy that comes from these lasts longer and doesn’t bring a ‘crash’.
These chocolate date balls are an amazing treat – try them!